Thursday 12 March 2015

Musings on hypocrisy and virginity tests

I was reading a mag in the staffroom yesterday as I tucked into the lovely stuffed capsicum I'd taken for lunch, and I almost choked when I read this 'In Brief' snippet, :
 Virginity tests averted
(Jakarta, Indonesia), Feb 11 - A member of parliament on the island of Java has been scrutinised following an attempt to introduce forced virginity tests for females planning to graduate high school. Kusen Andalas, deputy head of the district, insisted that the plans will not go ahead. 'I don't think it's ethical to carry out such tests. It is against people's rights'.

Seriously, ya think?

The article made me realise, yet again, how little personal power we have - how our dignity and privacy can be stripped away by unscrupulous, unethical - dare I say in some cases twisted? - officials who truly believe they have a mandate to do whatever they bloody well like to us.

Was the official in question merely a 'dirty old man' who gets off on the thought of probing high school girls and tries to shield his depravity with a veil of religious devotion to 'purity'? The conspiracy theorist in me can't help also wondering whether it's part of a larger and far more insidious plot to deter girls from wanting to get an education - to make the prospect of even finishing high school abhorrent, a rite of passage only achievable after a shameful, irrelevant and unnecessary invasion of her most private self?

How the hell do these creeps get hold of power in the first place? What kind of morons vote them in?

When my train of thought reached that point I derailed it. After all, I live in the country that voted in a creep who has spent the last 18 months locking up children and torturing asylum seekers.

I live in the country whose government is wringing as much political mileage as it can out of pretending to be compassionate and locking horns with the Indonesian government over the impending state-sanctioned killing of two Australian drug runners who knowingly flouted Indonesian law, and whose own Federal Police actually tipped off the Indonesians in the first place, knowing the consequences of drug-running through Indonesia.* WTF???

I live in the country whose government refuses to accept any whiff of responsibility for the deaths of Reza Barati, a 23 year-old Iranian asylum seeker who was killed on Manus Island during rioting at the Manus Island Regional Processing Centre as an unwilling 'guest' of the Australian government, and 24 year-old Iranian asylum seeker Hamid Kehazaei, who died because of unforgivable delays securing urgent medical attention while he was also a 'guest' of the Australian government on Manus.

I live in the country that points fingers at other countries' human rights records, while ignoring its own deplorable treatment of its own indigenous people; whose self-titled Prime Minster for Indigenous Affairs supports the defunding and closure of remote aboriginal communities because they are lifestyle choices. Arrogant, ignorant, offensive creep.

*Let me make it clear that I do not support the death penalty. What I also do not support is the hypocrisy of a government that apparently values the lives of convicted criminals over the lives of innocent people who have fled torture and terror in their home countries.

For the Guardian story about this lowest of low acts, click  here



4 comments:

Trobairitz said...

One can never guess what it is that drives a politician. Power? Money? Fame?

Some of the stories just make you shake your head. Love your country, fear your government.

Sue said...

The amount of damage that can be done in a single term is terrifying - and it always seems to be the most vulnerable people in the firing line. Our current right-wing loonies treat the entire populace with utter contempt. :-(

lemmiwinks said...

That's why I've "opted out". Don't watch the news etc, simply because you can't influence events (think your vote actually means something? Internet slacktivisim? Ha! Like the government gives a shit what you think if your name isn't Gina Rinehart, or Andrew Forrest etc.)

Best bet, IMO, is to enjoy life whilst keeping strictly to the rules on those hopefully rare occasions when forced to interact with government or it's agents at any level.

Smile, nod, avoid eye contact, slowly back away...

Sue said...

Lemmiwinks, part of me wants to opt out, seriously, and there are times when, for my mental health, I do. It becomes too unbearable. Then, when I'm on a more even keel, my natural optimism tells me I have to keep standing up because perhaps one day the stander-uppers will reach critical mass and topple the bastards. I really want to be a part of that when it happens!