Thursday 2 May 2013

Basil is GROUNDED!



I don’t know how he did it, the little shit, but he did. So now he’s grounded, pending the arrival of a collar with BELLS.

 I took the car into town to have the power steering belt fitted, and wandered about while I was waiting. Had some hot choc, did a bit of writing, got rained on, watched some birds, took some nice pics of the inlet under a very gloomy sky - you know, the sort of stuff you do when you’re waiting for your car to be fixed.


 Anyway – after a couple of hours I picked up my car and came home.  I opened my front door to find a feathered floor, and the sound of frantic flapping coming from the bathroom.

Basil, the little sod, had somehow caught what I think was a brush wattlebird (far too big to get through the palace’s ceiling mesh, I’d have thought) and had been having a right old game with it. I can only imagine its terror. There were feathers near the gate in the cat palace - is it possible he grabbed it and somehow dragged it in? I can't figure it out.



It was minus some tail feathers, not to mention quite a few other feathers, but it was full of fight when I finally managed to catch it and calm it down a little before liberating it. Birds 1, Basil nil, Betty cross. And Basil grounded. Grrrrr. Back to supervised walks on the lead until his bells arrive.

In the meantime, Georgie (pictured below) is keeping watch and hopefully discouraging the feathered beasties from getting too close. Georgie is made by a local lady who sells them at the hardware shop. Oaklands in Pambula also has them.


3 comments:

Trobairitz said...

Yikes, poor birdie. At least it lived.

Our Basil is a lazy hunter. He just watches the birds. Occasionally he "attempts" to stalk them. At 16 pounds he lumbers towards them. They aren't scared a bit, lol. I swear I can hear them laughing as they are eating their black oil sunflower seeds from the feeder.

Sue said...

Hmm, so perhaps I ought to fatten him up a bit? *reaches for ice cream*. Oh Basiiiil! *thinks better of it and eats ice cream*.Hmm, this isn't going to end well, is it? Is that the sound of pants elastic stretching?

lemmiwinks said...

A cat's gotta do what a cat's gotta do. You can't fight instinct, but you can put him at a disadvantage ;-)