Sunday 15 March 2009

Armed and Ready!


Bring on the spiders! I'm ready for them!

Look at this brilliant gadget I found at the Australian Geographic shop. A mere $24.95 is a tiny price to pay for such peace of mind.

The Spider Catcher is about 60cm long. The cone-shaped “spider” end is made of a circle of thick plastic bristles. The bristles are actuated by a sort of trigger device at the “people” end.


It even comes with a fake plastic spider that you can practise on. (A very small practice spider, I must say). I hope this gadget can handle something the size of the spidey-friends who invade my house. Ernestine had a body the size of a baby mouse, after all...

But anyway. I remain optimistic.

The fake spider has already given me seven kinds of heart attack because I keep forgetting where I put it, and every time I catch a glimpse of it I jump. Then I practise catching it.

This is how it works:

Giant spider comes into the house and breaks the Prime Directive (i.e., it gets within reach of Betty the Brave, nemesis of giant spiders).

Betty, armed with her gadget, whoops with delight and gently scoops the wriggling spider into the waiting bristles.


Here's a spider's-eye view:


So - spidey is gently and securely (I hope!) held in its prison of bristles. Like this:


It is then taken (at arm's length) out where it belongs, and liberated in the garden, where it will live a long and happy life (or be snapped up by a hungry bird. Nature's cruel like that.)


Betty runs for her life (note to self: wait till you can actually run again before attempting this!)

Muwahahahahaha! Never again will I cower as the spiders take over my house. Eight-legged Ernestines, Henrys and Maximilians of the world – look out!

Note: No real spiders were harmed during the creation of this post.

No comments: